Terribly excited about sharing a life update with you guys, that honestly even Nabeel and I are internalizing only now that it’s right on the verge of happening. I’m sipping chai as I type this, feeling emotional, excited, nervous, giddy, happy and borderline like a kachoomar salad.
WE’RE MOVING TO AUSTRALIAAAAAA end of this month! (!!!!!) *insert juvenile screams and hysteria* Feels so ajeeb to type this out now that I finally have (also sorry for disappointing those who wanted to see a child in nine months, lulz. Jenny-un sooory).
ANYHOO, we started our immigration process back in 2016 I think (?) and then went on our first trip to Australia (anybaady remember?) to get our documents stamped. Both of us were literally doing this just for the passports, but once we got there, we fell for Sydney real hard and while we weren’t sure of which city we’d eventually end up in, we were suddenly entirely ready to move here (once we were done with our mandatory procrastination – it’s a lifestyle, guys, we can’t help it).
Fast forward to a few months ago when we got back from Hajj and officially picked a date for moving: sometime in January 2018. Life got really busy in the months leading up to this time so we couldn’t really manage any preps till now. But we have about a good two weeks to sort everything out, before we head out to Pakistan for one last trip and then officially leave Dubai for good. OH MY GOD. It feels SO surreal.
I’m having some trouble trying to construct a coherent post so I’m going to bullet point the stuff in my head with some things I wanted to share. Here we go.
- We’re very excited. Just reconfirming in case you missed that. Sydney was beautiful and we want to make a home there so fast, so much.
- Nabeel quit work end of December so he’s been home as of January (he’ll look for work once we get to Australia). Before flying to Pakistan on my last trip, I had the sudden realization that we’re probably not going to have such a time in our lives again soon, where he’s not at work and just at home. So I took the decision to be off the blog as well and just hang out together, doing things, packing up our home, prepping for our move. It felt so good just imagining that and I’m too, too happy with this decision.
- Which brings me to the next point that I’m going to be MIA from the blog for the next couple of months. I know not everyone cares for everyday posting, but for the ones who do, I’m sorry for missing out on posts over the next few weeks. I’ll still be wrapping up some projects I’ve already committed to, or maybe blog about stuff that really interests me, and some random stuff here and there. So maybe a few posts a month, but not everyday. I’ll only get back to regular transmission once I’m in Australia, sipping Australian chai 🙂
- BUT I’m going to be hardcore everywhere else. Instagram, Facebook, Instastories, Snapchat. Please join me there. I’ll share updates with you guys on everything, packing up, whining about packing up, tickets, farewells. I’d LOVE it if you came along. Please come along.
- I’m going to miss our home SO MUCH. Both of us love our place too, too much and are really sad about leaving it. Please expect unbearable levels of current apartment nostalgia, it’s going to happen.
- I’m going to miss Dubai. And not in a halal-food/ease-of-safai/blah blah kind of way. Those are things you eventually adjust to. I’m going to miss this feeling of home I have here. Having our go-to grocery store, typical routes for going places, friends places, friends, favorite cinema, the restaurant that you always order from at 3 am, familiar faces that aren’t your friends but you see them everyday – elevator guy, grocery guy, etc. SO MUCH. It takes a while to find that feeling of home in a new place and I’m going to miss that feeling a lot.
- I’m leaving Dubai but blog-wise, I’ll continue to blog about it in whatever way I can. Just like the way I do for Pakistan. And eventually hope to expand into Australia quickly. It’s so exciting to imagine getting into a new market. Please tell your Aussie friends about me and make them fall in love with me, thank you so much.
Typing this post out now is actually the first step I have personally taken to wrap things up, lulz. Please, please don’t give me warnings on ‘we’re too late’….sab ho jaata hai, no point in worrying about things (especially, if it really is too late, lol). Just be happy with me for this exciting time in our lives. We’re very excited about this new chapter of our lives, everything will get done Inshallah, and we’ll eventually sort out what doesn’t. Allah mian’s got our backs, so it’s cool. You’re free to hand out unlimited japhis, though; I’m very flexible about those.
That’s about it. My god, you guys, I’m SO EXCITED. And so happy I’m finally sharing this with you 🙂
If you live in Sydney and have any tips on which areas to check out for our future home, or where to stay temporarily while we look for a place, please send them in. I’ll be so grateful.