Boys. Having a night routine for me is one of those things that I absolutely refuse to go without. I can’t confirm anything but on nights that I’m out late and don’t have time to ‘indulge’ myself this way, I may or may not appear to have anger issues (Like I said, I cannot confirm anything).
I’ve been slowly developing some night time rituals for myself that make me wind down like nothing else and really slow the pace of the day down (especially if things have been stressful or exhausting). It’s a simple, dialed down 10 step process, one that happens for me on default and I’m going to share it with you guys cos I wanna, wanna.
[You’ll see a lot of products from Rituals in this post but that’s because recently they asked me to pick out a bunch of stuff from their store and so naturally I took care of my entire night time routine from that activity. I cannot be questioned, I was helpless.]
All products in this post are linked at the end.
So around 10 pm, I start the process of my daily migration to the bedroom and here’s what I start doing in pretty much this exact order.
1. Tidy up. I cannot start my mornings in the middle of a mess. So both N and I make sure all eyesores like dirty dishes, unsorted laundry and any traces of a night of immorality (meaning, high carb crimes) are eliminated. It starts the next morning off right where my sole focus is making breakfast and moving into my plan for the day without having to think about doing the pocha.
2. Wash up. I hardly have a skincare routine in place and I want to correct that so I’ve been experimenting with some stuff lately and will share when I figure out what actually works. But regardless of having nothing in place right now that should make me look like your neighbor’s teenage daughter when I’m 50, I do make sure I wash my face every night. Get all the makeup off and moisturize. No questions about this.
3. Dim the lights. I dim the lights in the bedroom and get into action (nothing scandalous, please you guys) because mood lighting is king.
4. Light a candle. Because I’m currently suffering from a condition called there-is-no-life-without-candles, I immediately light one up as soon as I’m in my room (after blowing out the one in the living room). I keep this on for about an hour and it makes the room smell like a piece of heaven.
5. Spray some pillow mist. This is pretty much a new fascination (thanks, Australia, because that’s where I discovered it in my hotel room) but now I like to pretend that it’s something that’s been in our family for years and has been passed down from generation to generation. I spritz a bit of this bed mist (pictured above) on our pillows every night and it’s magic to sleep into, bros. I’ve finished up the one that got me hooked and now using this bed/body mist from Rituals.
6. Play some slow music. Don’t do this every night but every few days, I’ll play whatever slow music I’ve been enjoying (that can also double up ideally as a horse tranquilizer). Currently on my playlist is Time by Hans Zimmer (the Inception soundtrack). If you don’t play slow music in your bedroom at night, try it and tell me if it doesn’t make you lose your mind (in a good way).
7. Make tea. It’s kind of hard for me to imagine life without some form of tea in it. Every night, I’ll make myself whatever herbal tea I have in circulation at that point, and start to wind down the day with it. It’s a psychological Xanax for me that signals to my brain that this girl is ready to party (I mean, snore) and starts to slip me into the most relaxed state.
8. Read A Book. I went completely off track on this during Ramzan and while family was visiting, but the entire rest of the year, my favorite thing to do with my tea has been to read a book. It’s the absolute best.
9. Random crap. I also catch up with everyone I’ve been ignoring the entire day (I’m a terrible friend usually). I’ll chat with a few friends, check out stuff like Instagram/Snapchat, talk a bit with N, check out 9gag with him (he’s a bit of fascist when it comes to making me do this with him). I used to do the phone bit for about an hour every night but ever since I started reading more regularly this year, I’ve cut down on my phone usage to about 10-15 mins at night. If we’re really, really into a show, this is where we fit that in too.
10. Get Some Water. Having a glass of water as the absolute last thing I do before sleeping is like a no-miss for me. Other than the fact that it helps your body through the night, it’s also the best
alarm clock in the morning. Hashtag bladder.
alarm clock in the morning. Hashtag bladder.
[Products] Sleepwear: Blood Orange / Candle: Samurai Candle from Rituals / Bed & Body Mist: Rituals Blossom Water Mist / Teacup: Rituals / Tray: Veranda At Five
What do you guys do for your night routine? Tell me all about it because it’s very important to get such things out of your system (this is a safe place here).