So I was sitting here at my desk working on a project proposal with a cup of chai (per usual). I surprisingly didn’t have any music on today, just the quiet typing on my keyboard and the subtle buzz of the diffuser, casually trying out a DIY eye mask in parallel (the perks of working from home) and that’s when I realized: It’s going to be a quiet day. I somehow have no calls scheduled, no meetings to go to today. I’ll be home the entire day, just replying to emails and working on some documents, with a high probability of not speaking much to anyone.
I’m not much of a talker, unless I’m with people I’m close to, and so being completely quiet and alone with myself is one of my favorite things ever. I pushed the post I’d scheduled for today over to tomorrow and thought I’ll free up my headspace and talk random with you guys.
* Lately, work has been super busy. I have more projects than I can manage (mashallah) and it’s stuff that’s super exciting. I feel grateful for all that comes my way. I feel pride for always sticking to my blogging ethics and not endorsing everything that comes to me. I’ve started seeing the results of that now more than ever; I feel happy that I chose slow, authentic growth.
* I’ve been trying to eat clean but am struggling. I’m in a way better place than what it used to be – moving from having junk food every night to having it a couple of nights a week only. I’ve done better before so I know I can be better. But still struggling.
* N and I have been wanting to start work on fixing our guest bedroom and converting it into a partial studio, but somehow we let our weekends get swallowed up by hanging out with friends, watching movies and just plain chilling – which is of course not a bad thing but we do want the room sorted too and at the end of each weekend, we wish we’d kept a couple of hours to do that. The rest of the apartment is in really good shape. It feels clean and detoxed and with everything in its place. It feels good to live here.
* There’s a building getting constructed right next to ours which means we won’t have the gorgeous view of the marina anymore in a few months. I don’t feel disappointed about that. I feel like we’ll enjoy it for as long as it’s meant for us. I’m curious to discover what happens when our view gets changed, you never know what good could come out of that.
* Last night, I booked the hotel for my upcoming girls trip. My two best friends who’re coming over will be staying at my place the first few days but we decided to have a couple of nights at a hotel, removed from other things. I’m excited to hang out with them and just do nothing.
* I feel a craving for mithai that just won’t quit. Chum chum, gulab jamun, pateesa, qalaqand, many kinds of halwas (daal, akhrot, sohan, habshi, kaddoo, sigh).
* I feel content. And thankful for my life. The buzz of the construction downstairs is annoying to a lot of people but somehow it doesn’t bother me. It’s been on for months and it’s become a part of my background noise. I think about the hard life the construction workers have at least once a day. I’m glad the weather is calming down. It’s very hard being out in the terrible heat through your entire work day and then do physical labor on top.
It’s not easy getting hold of a quiet day with yourself, harder for some people more than others. I’m happy I got the chance. Getting myself some coffee now, lighting a candle and making the most of it.
Tell me what’s been on your mind lately.